Monday, May 02, 2011

The Death of Osama bin Laden

Last night President Barack Obama announced to the nation and the world that U.S. forces had killed Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Today, I am filled with mixed emotions about this news.

First, I am relieved that justice finally caught up to this man. Justice for the 3000+ people who died on that tragic day almost 10 years ago. Justice for the survivors, whose lives were forever changed. Justice for the tens of thousands of people who lost friends and family members.

Second, I am disheartened in the knowledge that this man's death does not end the conflict. Our troops are not coming home to be reunited with their families. The extremists are not going to end their attacks on U.S. citizens or the citizens of those countries supportive of the U.S.. More brave men and women will die because bin Laden is just as dangerous now, as a martyr, as he was when he was alive.

Third, I am fearful. Fearful of what this means for the future of our country. Fearful of how the retaliation will come, because it will come. Fearful of how politicians will spin this for political benefit.

Finally, and what I feel most, I am saddened that the celebrations which spontaneously erupted after the announcement seemed to be based more on peoples satisfaction that revenge had been served rather than focused on justice being served. There is a great difference. The tone of many comments I have heard or read today has been that of gloating and I am reminded of Proverbs 24:17. I take no joy in this man's death. This post, No Pleasure in the Death of the Wicked, (which TheHusband found) sums up my feelings much better than I could have.

And so, at the end of the day, I am left feeling empty about this man's death.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...