Friday, April 08, 2011

Breakfast Sandwich

I've been craving something different for breakfast recently because my standard oatmeal or fiber one bar have been getting kind of boring. And then my Rise 'n Shine post yesterday made me think of breakfast sandwiches from McD's. (weird I know). Well, I need something with a little more staying power than the ones from the fast food place (even though I LOVE that fast food place - it's evil I know, but we can't help what we love) so I made my own at home.

What I used:
Egg Beaters egg substitute
Canadian Bacon
cheese slices
high fiber English muffins



How I made it:

1. Spray the inside of 4 small bowls with Pam.

2. Pour 1/4 cup Egg Beaters into each bowl. (You can use your favorite egg substitute or real eggs if you want. If using real eggs, you will  probably want to beat them a little before cooking.)

3. Place the bowls in the microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. (I flip the eggs about halfway through the cooking time, but if that's too much putzing for you, just skip it.)

4. If you're going to eat these right away, add the Canadian Bacon about halfway through the cooking time. That way it will be nice and warm & it helps avoid the awkward sliding off the sandwich thing. (It's also fun to watch the eggs expand and lift the bacon up).

5. Once the eggs are done all you need to do is to assemble your sandwich. I like to toast my English muffin, but you don't have to.

6. Serve with some fruit or juice and you have a delicious, healthier breakfast sandwich.


The Verdict: I love these sandwiches. You can whip them up really quick in the morning, or you can prepare everything to the assembly stage the night before and just assemble in the morning. OR if you need/want to be super fast in the morning, you can just assemble them completely the night before and pop them in the fridge. Then just reheat in the microwave. yumm-my! Plus, because I use high fiber English muffins these help keep me from snacking until lunch time.

What I'd do different: absolutely nothing.


Variations: These sandwiches are really great because you can customize them to fit  your taste (or the taste of anyone in your family). You want to spice up the eggs? Dice up a little onion & pepper to toss in (or just use the southwestern style egg substitute). You like cheddar better than American cheese? Go for it! You can also use whatever kind of breakfast meat you like: bacon, Canadian bacon, breakfast sausage patties, turkey bacon. It's all  good.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...