Monday, March 07, 2011

Introducing "Life As a Dinosaur"

As most of my friends and family know, I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) almost three years ago. It is an autoimmune disease and a form of arthritis.

My current rheumatologist would tell you that I am an atypical AS patient because I'm female (majority of AS patients are male) and because my symptoms first appeared in my hands and feet (most AS patients start with lower back and hip problems). To that I say, "Yay me!" for being different. (okay, I don't really say that, but I try to be positive).

Now I say my "current" rheumatologist because tomorrow I am going to see a different one. My husband and I have never really liked my current rheumatologist but we gave her a shot because she had good credentials. However, after a recent BAD experience with trying to get a prescription refill from her, we have decided to get a second opinion. Yes, I know, I should have done that in the first place, but better late than never I say. And even if the new guy agrees with the original diagnosis, I'll be okay with that as long as he doesn't cause me as much stress as the "current" doctor.

Since I'm making this change I thought it would be interesting to look back at the past few years and record what my "Life As a Dinosaur" has been like. I admit that I'm selfishly doing this mostly for myself, so I won't forget many of the experiences I've had, I also have to say that if it helps bring some understanding of others who suffer from this or other "invisible" diseases, that would be great.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Your questions may help me better remember and explain my journey. Plus, I sometimes unknowingly assume that people know and understand what I'm talking about. Anyway, welcome to my journey.

P.S. - The first actual post will probably show up tomorrow or Thursday. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...