Friday, March 11, 2011

Turkey Chili

While it does seem to finally be warming up here in Minnesota, it's still cool enough to make and enjoy this version of one of my favorite comfort foods. I remember my mom making chili a lot when I was growing up. Probably because you can sure stretch your food dollar with this meal, and with seven kids she really needed to stretch that dollar far. Plus, it's a super simple meal that doesn't take much time to prepare and is super satisfying.

This isn't exactly her recipe though.  Honestly, how can you compete with Mom's chili when it has her special ingredient of a mother's love? You can however copy the basics and add your own special twist. This is my version.

What I used:
2 pounds ground turkey
2 - 15 oz cans tomato sauce
2 - 10 3/4 oz cans tomato soup
2 - 15 oz cans light red kidney beans
2 - 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
1 packet mild chili seasoning
about 1/2 cup chopped onions
sour cream or shredded cheese
                                                      water (if you like a thinner consistency)

How I made it:

1. Brown ground turkey

2. When ground turkey is almost completely browned,
    mix in chopped onions and continue cooking until
    onions start to turn translucent.

3. Add tomato sauce, tomato soup, kidney beans, and
    seasoning packet. (If you prefer a thinner
    consistency, this is when you would add the water
    as well).

4. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the flavors have
    had a chance to meld. (I usually shoot for 30 minutes,
    but, I'll be honest, I can't always wait that long).

5. When done "melding", spoon into bowls and serve
    with your favorite toppings. In the ATC house that
    usually means sour cream and crackers, but we've
    been known to use shredded cheese as well.

6. Enjoy!

The Verdict: Warm, yummy, and completely satisfying. This is one of those meals that fills the house with the smell of "all is right with the world" and fills your tummy with that feeling as well. At least it does for me.

What I'd do different: This is one of those meals that I've made dozens of times so there really isn't anything I would do differently except to make a bigger batch! I could be bias though, it's hard to tell.

Variations: This is also a dish that you can make almost endless variations of. Add more or less spice, use your favorite type of beans, use a chunkier tomato sauce. Do what's right for your family's taste buds. Just never forget to add the love! (I know, I'm corny, right?)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...