Monday, March 28, 2011

Life as a Dinosaur: The Spoon Theory

(present time) I'm not feeling particularly creative or ambitious right now, because I used way too many "spoons" this past weekend and am still recharging from that. You're probably thinking "What the heck does using spoons have to do with needing to recharge?", and I don't blame you. Here's the best explanation I've ever found to explain what it's like to live with a chronic illness or disability. You should go read it, then come back! The author, Christine Miserandino, has lupus, but her Spoon Theory is so spot on to my own experience.

Anyway, I'm still recovering a bit from the weekend. On Saturday, TheHusband and I got up at 7:00 AM to do laundry (which means a trip to the laundromat) then we chilled for a couple of hours. After lunch I ran to the grocery store to get some fruit so I could make another berry crisp to take to some friends who were hosting us for dinner. We met up with them a little before 6:00 PM then went to church with them. After church we went to their place (with the berry crisp) for dinner. We had a great time hanging out with them until almost 10:00 PM. Got home around 10:30 PM, but didn't crawl in bed until almost midnight.

Then Sunday morning we got up and went to church again. We're looking for a new church home, so the church we went to was new to us. The church members were very friendly, but I'm a bit of an introvert so it takes a bit more energy for me to go out and meet new people. We were offered name tags so people would know our names, but we passed. I later had the fleeting thought that I should have used one. I should have had one like this:


After church we went to Noodles & Co. for lunch. Delicious, but I probably should have taken TheHusband up on his offer to just go home, because I spent the rest of the afternoon being cranky. I should have taken a nap, but was concerned I wouldn't be able to sleep through the night if I did. I know that doesn't sound like much activity for a weekend, but for me it is.

Even though I did go to bed early (for me) last night, I'm still feeling worn out today. Weekends are usually my time to nap and gather up my spoons for the coming week. I guess I should go to bed early for the rest of the week, maybe it will help me feel "normal" again.

Author's note: This is the sixth post in a series of posts regarding my experience(s) with an autoimmune disease. My experience is unique to me and does not speak for all patients with autoimmune diseases.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...