Friday, March 25, 2011
What I used:
6 cups frozen berry blend of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries (thawed and drained)
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons Splenda
1 1/2 cups quick oats
3 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix berries, flour, and Splenda together.
2. Spread berry mixture in 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together until crumbly
4. Spread oatmeal mixture evenly over the berry mixture.
5. Bake a 350 degrees until topping is golden brown
(approximately 30-35 minutes).
6. Let cool for few minutes before serving.
7. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or eat it as is.
The Verdict: Warm, delicious, and the perfect solution to my sweet tooth craving. Also, a great way to sneak a few fruits into TheHusband's day!
What I'd do different: I have to admit that I didn't wait until the berries were entirely thawed. Because of that I should have added a little more flour (maybe a tablespoon) to help thicken the juices a bit more. It was by no means runny, but there was a little extra juice. Other than that I've already tweaked the recipe to remove the fat (used applesauce instead of butter) and reduced the sugar by using sugar substitutes).
Variations: You can use whatever berry combination you like or use fresh berries instead of frozen (I just had the frozen berries on hand). Also, if you don't want to make the adjustments I did (using applesauce and sugar substitutes) then feel free to go all out. There isn't that much sugar or fat in the original recipe to start with.