Thursday, November 03, 2011

For Annette

I had planned to post something entirely different and a little lighthearted today.  I had even started writing the post, but then my day changed. This afternoon I found out that someone very dear to me had passed away, and it's appropriate that I write about her today because she always encouraged me to write.

Annette was my grandmother's best friend. They grew up together, their kids grew up together (in fact my grandma's oldest son married Annette's daughter) and their grand kids grew up together. We would have family reunions at Lester and Annette's farm by the lake. They would set aside a specific area for tents/campers and our families would spend the days in the lake and around tables loaded with food. At night we would gather around a campfire to roast marshmallows, while the younger generation listened to the older generations retell stories of the exploits of their wilder days.

When I started writing, Annette was always very supportive. The first time my work was published by my college's literary journal she was over the moon excited for me and requested that I make sure she got a copy (and a copy of each year's journal after that). Any time I saw her she would ask if I was still writing and if I ever said something that would imply that I wasn't writing a lot, she would shake her little fist at me and tell me that I better keep writing and not to waste my talent.

Even though it's been several years since I've seen Annette I will still miss her presence in the world. And so, I dedicate this month of posts the her.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...