Thursday, November 17, 2011

I am a "Star Performer"

I don't usually brag on myself, but today I'm taking the opportunity to brag on myself.

The plaque I received, now hanging in my cubicle.

Today I was honored to receive one of the University Services Star Performer Awards, and I am darn proud of it. I have been in my position for 12 years, and each day I strive to give my customers (the students, their parents, our managers, and all faculty/staff members) the best customer service I can. The kind of customer service I would like to receive, and that I would like my friends and family to receive.

It's not always easy, there have been many many days I have had to remind myself to do my best work for His glory (Colossians 3:17, 1 Corinthians 10:31). And while I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping our customers and trying to do my best work for God, it's also kind of nice to know that my hard work is also appreciated by others.

Here's how University Services (the non-Academic branch of the UofM) describes a "Star Performer":

Who is a Star Performer?
University Services has established values that enforce the University’s teaching, research, outreach mission and comprehensive academic plan. Our values are:
  • Excellence in our products and services;
  • Integrity in our actions with those we serve and with each other;
  • Accountability in the value of our work;
  • Stewardship of the University

In addition, Star performers generally exhibit the following:
  • Exceed Expectations – Star Performers go above and beyond the call of duty of their day-to-day tasks. They pay attention to details, seek solutions to problems, and provide a high level of commitment in their duties.
  • Customer Service – Star Performers take the time to understand the needs of the students, staff, and visitors to the University and to meet their needs consistently and effectively.
  • Initiative – Star Performers find innovative ways to save time, money, or other resources, either through new ideas or new ways to do ongoing tasks. They often act to solve a problem before it becomes a larger issue.
  • Reliability – Star Performers demonstrate a consistency in getting the job done right, on time, the first time. Star Performers don’t let their customers, or their coworkers, down.

All that to say, I must be doing something right! In the future, on those difficult days when I have to remind myself that I need to do my best for God's glory, it will be easier to remind myself that working for God's glory doesn't just help me get through the day, but helps others get through their's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...